skip navigation
Home Teams Registrations Tournaments Calendar News Board Sponsors

Thunder leave Marquette with a win and a draw

02/22/2022, 11:15am CST
By Josh Lacy

MARINETTE – The M&M Thunder High School hockey team left Marquette with a win and a tie against the Marquette Togo’s JV squad on Sunday. Meanwhile the Peewee team took second at the La Crosse Tournament.


MARINETTE – The M&M Thunder High School hockey team left Marquette with a win and a tie against the Marquette Togo’s JV squad on Sunday. Meanwhile the Peewee team took second at the La Crosse Tournament.


The Thunder stretched their winning streak to five games with a 7-2 win in game one and then made it six in a row without a loss when they salvaged a 4-4 tie in game two.

“I was a little disappointed after seeing our kids play so well a couple of weeks ago against Manistique,” coach John Danielak said of the performance. “Both games we let them jump out to a lead, and I felt we were a better team than we showed.”

In game one, the Thunder gave up a pair of first-period goals before shaking the rust off in the second period.

Goals from Broden Krause, Grant Burg and Randy Von Haden gave the Thunder a 3-2 edge heading into the third period.

Theron Thayer, Adam Lemery, Mason Boivin and Von Haden all found the net in the final period as the Thunder pulled away for the 7-2 win.

Krause and Thayer each added a pair of assists to the sheet, while Lemery had a helper as well.

“We came back really strong after that first period,” Danielak said. “I expected to see that carry over to the second game, but we came out flat again.”

In game two, Marquette started the action with four unanswered goals including three in the first period and one early in the second.

Just seconds after going down 4-0, Von Haden got the Thunder on the board with an assist from Krause. That duo then assisted a Thayer goal, and Von Haden got the team within one with when he scored on a power play near the end of the second period while Krause notched his third assist.

In the third period, Corbin Spencer leveled the game with assists from Joey Danielak and Lemery.

“We just have to get back to basics and play more disciplined,” Danielak said. “When we play disciplined, we play very well, and when we don’t, you start to see mistakes and some unnecessary penalties.”

Marquette Togo’s will return the trip in two weeks when the Thunder host Marquette BB on Saturday, March 5, and Togo’s the following day at the Community REC Center.

The Thunder return to action on Saturday with a doubleheader at Dodgeville. The team will look to even the season series with a pair of wins. The Ice Wolves have taken three of the first four meetings between the squads.

“I really want to see us come back and play them hard,” Danielak said of the Dodgeville matchup. “We have gotten a lot better since we played them last. We have a full team now, and hopefully everyone will be healthy and we can win a couple this weekend.”

Game one in Dodgeville is scheduled for a 2:30 p.m. start.


The Thunder Bantams traveled to Ozaukee on Saturday and played the Ice Dogs to a 4-4 tie in game one and a 6-2 loss in game two.

Four different players found the net in game one while Brayden Rounds notched a pair of assists and Logan Sakovitz had one assist.

Damien Winterbottom got the scoring started, and Caiden Radtke and Blue Haley scored in the second period to put the Thunder up 3-2.

The Ice Dogs scored twice in the third period and held a 4-3 advantage into the final minute of the game, when the Thunder pulled their goalie and Avery Waloway delivered a game-tying goal.

Ethan King made 13 saves to preserve the tie.

In game two, the Thunder got a goal each from Rounds and Haley while Winterbottom and Courtney Campbell had assists.

King made 28 saves against 34 shots.

The Bantams will travel to Shawano on Saturday and host Rhinelander at the Community REC Center on Sunday.


The Thunder Peewee team took part in the La Crosse Flames Tournament over the weekend and came home with a second-place finish.

The Thunder defeated Farmington 7-0 and Arrowhead 5-2 on Saturday to advance to Sunday’s championship game where they came up just short in a 4-3 battle against Sauk Prairie.

Collin Campbell paced the Thunder offense with four goals and an assist against Farmington. Lucien Thayer and Easton Baty also scored, and Chuckie Bird finished with a goal and an assist.

Campbell was good for four more goals against Arrowhead including a first-period hattrick that staked the team to a 3-0 advantage. Campbell and Baty both scored in the second period while Arrowhead managed lone tallies in the second and third periods.

In Sunday’s championship game, the Thunder met Sauk Prairie’s A team and found themselves facing a 3-0 hole after struggling to get shots off in the first two periods.

The team nearly pulled off a stunning comeback when Campbell netted three in a row in the third period, but time expired on the upset bid and the Flyers escaped with a 4-3 win.

The Peewee team will travel to Merrill for a doubleheader on Sunday.


The Thunder 12U Girls traveled to West Bend and came home with a fourth-place finish in the Heartbreakers tournament.

The Thunder opened play with a 4-1 win over Elmbrook on Saturday.

Whitney Haile and Jadyn Jashinsky each had a pair of goals while Kendal Truckey added an assist to the winning effort.

Gracelyn Loomis stopped ten of the 11 shots she faced.

In the semifinal round, Washington County took a 5-0 win over the Thunder, and Beaver Dame won 6-0 in the third-place game.

Loomis recorded 65 saves in the three games while stopping 84% of the shots she faced.

The 12U Girls will travel to Mosinee for a pair of games on Saturday.


The Thunder Squirt B team finished fourth at the Rhinelander Hodag Invitational after just missing out on a bid to reach the championship game.

The Thunder recorded three points in pool play with a win (two points) and a draw (one point).

Calvin Schroeder secured a point when he scored in the closing seconds of the team’s opening game against Rhinelander to level the score at 5-5.

Schroeder scored the Thunder’s first goal, but the team faced a 4-1 deficit after the first period.

Second-period goals from Wyatt Kneath, Alex Bird and Owen Shaffer brought the Thunder all they way back to even, but a late Hodag goal looked like the end for the Thunder until they pulled their goalie in the final minute and Schroeder put one in the house with 14 seconds to play.

On Saturday, the Thunder pitched a 3-0 shutout against Chippewa.

Schroeder added two more goals to a terrific tournament performance. Landon Dura scored as well, while Bird, Jaxon Teteak and Brayden Forgette all had assists.

Shaffer stopped all 15 Chippewa shots to nail down the team’s ninth, and his sixth, shutout of the season.

The shutout left the Thunder just needing to see a Chippewa goal against Rhinelander to advance from pool play to the championship game. Rhinelander could only hope to tie the Thunder’s three points by defeating Chippewa and the first tie breaker was goals against. However, Rhinelander topped Chippewa 6-0 Saturday evening and the Thunder had to settle for the third-place game.

Playing for third place, the Thunder jumped ahead of Rice Lake 3-1 with first-period goals from Teteak, Forgette and Schroeder.

Rice Lake netted three goals in the second period, but tallies from Forgette and Parker Perket kept the Thunder ahead 5-4 entering the final period.

The Warriors tied the game early in the third period and then scored in the final minute to earn the win.

Shaffer made 21 saves while the Thunder were outshot 27-12 in the game.

The Squirt B team will close out its season this weekend when they travel to DePere on Saturday and Fox Valley on Sunday.


The Thunder Squirt C team also took part in the Rhinelander Hodag Invitational this weekend. After dropping games to SHAW and Verona on Saturday, the Thunder closed their season by picking up their first victory by a score of 6-2 over Shawano.

Holden Ruiz sparked the team when he beat a defender on a breakaway and scored on the top shelf in the first minute of the game.

After Shawano tied the game, Nova Cook put the Thunder back on top with an assist from Madison Salewski.

In the second period, Ruiz broke a 2-2 tie with his second goal of the game, and the Thunder offense was off and running.

Carter Erdman went coast-to-coast for a goal to make it 4-2 at the end of the second, and Sullivan Reek and Robby Chaltry stretched the margin to 6-2 with goals in the third period.

Lucas Wiltzius stopped ten of the 12 shots he faced to keep Shawano at bay.


Tag(s): 10U Squirt A  12U Girls  12U PeeWee A  14U Bantam  18U High School  10U Squirt B